Growing tomorrow’s farmers
- Employ a young Australian to work on your farm for 10-12 months and share your skills, knowledge, and industry insights as a farm-host
- Contribute to the future agricultural workforce by giving someone a start in industry
- Access a new labour market by leveraging AgCAREERSTART’s recruitment process
- Challenge yourself and develop skills as an employer and a mentor
When you sign up you will:
- Receive a $2,000 grant
- Get support from the AgCAREERSTART team to mentor and train your participant
- Gain access to industry events and the broader National Farmers’ Federation network
As a station that participated in the 2022 program we had great success and were very happy with the program and would like to continue our association with AgCAREERSTART.
Juanita, Citrus/Beef/Cotton, NT
TO BE A PART OF THE PROGRAM YOU MUST:
- Be able to offer a safe and positive experience for a young Australian
- Have the capacity to teach and support someone who might have limited experience in agriculture
- Be able to offer full-time paid employment for a period of 10 – 12 months in 2024*
- Offer flexibility to your participant so they can undertake training and attend industry events
- Provide accommodation, or assist in finding accommodation off farm
*Participants must be paid at – or above-award wages. All host farms must provide a signed employment contract to AgCAREERSTART before the placement commences.
Farmer fact sheet
Find out more about eligibility, commitment, industry support and more.
Frequently asked questions
What is involved?As a host-farmer you will provide paid, full time on-farm employment for a school leaver or young Australian under the age of 25 for a period of 10 – 12 months. This is a supported program, where the host farmer is asked to share their skills, knowledge and industry insights with the participant, while also allowing a flexible environment that enables the participant to pursue training opportunities and attend industry events.
Who can participate?Any Australian farming business can apply if they have a willingness to train and support a young person on farm. We are looking for host farmers who can have a positive impact on the next generation of Australian agricultural workers.
What incentives do farm-host business receive?AgCAREERSTART farm-hosts are eligible for a $2000 grant. This grant is contingent on you completing an on-farm safety induction program with the participant.
Oops! We could not locate your form.